Top Rope Anchor Building Course
Looking to gain the knowledge and experience to set up your own climbing anchors outdoors? Nervous to trust your own anchor setups or unsure how to build them to begin with? Our 1 day top rope anchor building course will teach you how to safely and efficiently build your own anchors while also covering rappelling techniques. Because there are so many variables when it comes to anchors, we strive to prepare you with the necessary skills and knowledge to safely build your own rock climbing anchors and to rappel back down to the ground in a variety of situations. Learning these skills will give you the confidence and freedom to take your climbing experience to the next level. You don’t even need to have your own equipment to take this course since we even provide all of the anchor materials and equipment needed for the day.
This course covers a wide range of scenarios with a focus on:
- Setting up a top-rope anchor using bolts.
- Setting up a top-rope anchor using natural features such as boulders or trees.
- Using trad gear in top-rope setups
- Webbing vs. slings vs. cord vs. rope
- Advantages and disadvantages of different climbing materials and their uses
- Equalizing your top-rope anchor with 2, 3, and 4 piece anchors
- Advantages and disadvantages of pre-equalized vs. self-equalizing anchors
- Rope management
- How to rappel from the top of a climb
- How to properly inspect your gear before/after use
- Understanding about the forces applied on climbing equipment and anchor points
Running Time: approx 6 Hours (including lunch break)
Locations: The Bluffs, Silver Harbour, Pass Lake
Cost: Private – $200
2-3 people – $150/person
Please inquire about our group rates!
Equipment Included: Harness, Helmet, Climbing Shoes, Personal Anchor System, ATC, Prussik Cord, Locking Carabiners, Webbing, Cordage, Slings, Ropes