Lead Climb & Rappel on Ice – Course
$229.00 – $249.00
Experience the Adventure of Northwest Ontario with
Outdoor Skills And Thrills!
Are you ready to transition from top-roping to lead climbing on ice? Keep looking at those ice screws at the gear shop and wonder how to use them safely? Our Lead Climbing & Rappelling on Ice Course will help prepare you with the necessary skills and knowledge you’ll need to lead climb safely outdoors on ice. Compared to top-roping, lead climbing on ice presents many more variables and dangers that a climber and belayer need to be aware of and experienced with to stay safe. It is crucial for a climber to properly learn and understand what is involved with safely leading, belaying, and rappelling an ice climb.
In this course you will learn and practice:
- The differences between top-roping and lead climbing on ice
- The gear involved with leading an ice climb
- Objective hazards and subjective risks in ice climbing and leading
- Minimizing the potential dangers by looking at a variety of scenarios
- Advanced belay techniques for lead climbers on ice
- Optimal body positioning
- Methods for clipping quickdraws quickly and safely with gloves on
- Breaking strength of a different climbing materials
- How to properly attach yourself to an ice anchor
- Fall factors
- Lowering/rappelling from the top of the climb
- Deciding when/how to bail from an ice climb
- Mental techniques for lead climbing on ice
- Understanding what happens when you fall
- Forces placed on anchor points and how they factor in
- Energy conservation while lead climbing on ice
Full Day: 10:00am – 4:30pm
Locations: Orient Bay, Kama Bay, Thunder Bay, other
Visit our Events Calendar to see locations for each date.
Harness, Helmet, Mountaineering Boots, Crampons, Ice Axes, and whatever other technical climbing equipment is needed for the course.
Rise and Shine, It’s Time to Go Climb!
Once registered we will send you an Information Package, with
driving directions, parking information, clothing considerations, itinerary, etc
Before submitting payment please confirm the date is available for the adventure of your choice. You can do so a variety of ways such as:
- Submitting a Registration Form
- Sending us a Message via the Contact page
- E-mail email@example.com, or Call/txt 1-807-472-4742